Wednesday 7 May 2014

Sew I travel (journal quilt)

My plan is to quilt my way through this year of travel and collect memories in a tangible way. Here's the first row (5 squares) and plans for the next two.

I started with a home square. Maple leaf and Canadian penny (found in the yard and actually the last year they were produced). Then one with a quote about travel and some Alberta wild roses and the latitude and longitude of the Calgary airport.

Next are squares reminding me of Turkey. First fabric dyed with Turkish coffee and welcome greetings in Turkish and Kurdish remind me of our carpet purchasing experience. The flowers to remember them everywhere we went. The next fabric is dyed with Turkish saffron and is the protection from the evil eye - still unfinished as I'm looking for dark blue thread for the outer ring. The center is a small denomination Turkish coin. And the third one is a generous donation by a fellow traveller, Mark, of his burlap wine bag. I snazzied it up with silk thread called "grape harvest". What else would do?

The off white square has been stitched with threads and is ready to be dyed with wine - there is a home made wine tasting planned for the next week. I'm hoping for some interesting colours for the background and will then add some stitched memories.

Next is a lovely hand woven and hand embroidered table runner and small square coasters. We chanced upon this shop on a street of local art and another lovely experience happened. The lady who spoke English wrote a greeting in Georgian and translated it to English for me. While we were talking, I gave her one of the Canadian flag pins and she was quite overwhelmed that I would give her a present. One of the small squares will remind me of our time in the old town of Tbilisi today, and this chance to meet a local lady. Probably a small denomination Georgian coin will be added too.

The last photo is a postcard I found today. Original painting was done by the shopkeeper's husband. How could I not have this little old quilting lady, complete with Singer treadle machine?

Stay tuned.









No comments:

Post a Comment